So you’re in charge of preparing Thanksgiving this year? We have a few helpful tips and tricks and recipes to make life a little easier.
Turkey tips from Wildfire Executive Chef/ Partner Joe Decker
- Order a fresh, natural turkey in advance. Don’t order a frozen turkey.
- Plan on 1.5 lbs. of turkey per person when determining size of bird. Chef recommends two, 12-14 lb. turkeys rather than one large 24 lb.
- Brining is an important step to adding moisture to a turkey. Make sure turkey breast is submerged in brine for 12-18 hours.
- Leave prepped turkey (brined and spice rubbed) out at room temperature one hour before roasting.
- Cook turkey, breast side down for 25 percent of the total cooking time, then carefully flip over for the remaining roasting time.
- As an alternative, prepare your turkey on an outside BBQ grill with indirect heat to save oven space.